Here it is, the final steps to my jagalchi woodcut!
All in all, I give this project a C+ for the result. The wood and ink were definitely of poor/cheap quality, which I think contributed to its meh appearance (although I can’t discount the hack carving job I did on the first two plates). There was definitely a transitional hump between eraser carving techniques (cutting rather vertically with a knife) and woodcut (planing horizontally with the tool), which caused me to wear out my tools pretty badly. BUT, I did learn a lot about technique, particularly drafting and carving (as opposed to cutting), and am curious to experiment more with wood. I’m very pleased with the concept/draft of this print, and am definitely going to make it again with linoleum this time as a comparison. So, although I rate the aesthetic result pretty low, I rate the learning experience an A+. It didn’t leave me in awe going, “Wow, I’m really talented!” and patting myself on the back, but more, “Hmmmmmm…I see where I went wrong here. Back to the drawing board!”